Sunday, November 13, 2011

Blog Post # 11

Kids using a computer

Little Kids....Big Potential
Ms. Cassidy's class blew my mind on all the different ways they use technology in the kids day to day learning. A Nintendo DS? I didn't know they had math and other learning programs available on them. The only time I saw anything close like that in grade school was when a teacher was taking a classmates gameboy away until the end of the day. I guess video games won't just rot your brain out after all. I myself just started using Skype this semester and I'm disappointed that I just now have because it's a great way to communicate with family and friends across the country. These kids are impressive that they realize what they are talking about and you can tell that they do because there is no hitch in their voice from reading a script while they are explaining what they are doing in class. I think Skype is by far in my opinion the most valuable technique and tool because you can expand the classroom to any place on the planet. I would utilize this as much as possible because you can show real life examples and allow your class to ask questions to people who are professionals in the topic you are currently on. You can also use it at any grade level as we all have been shown through this video and our own experiences. Quite an impressive feat when you think about the age difference. 

The only thing that I could see as a distraction is students not using the learning tools the way they were intended and that falls on the shoulders of the teacher monitoring the activity properly. Kids are willing to learn if you show them the proper ways to conduct and exercise and explain the reason. If you just give them a video game divice and say "Have fun" then an opportunity is squandered. In the movie "Spiderman" Peter Parker's uncle Ben said "With great power comes great responsibility". Utilize the gift of technology in a productive manner and watch the good things that can come from it. 

1 comment:

  1. Hey Eric,

    You make some great points about students, teachers, and technology. I agree that many of these technologies have distractions and that needs to be addressed to the students in the beginning. Then, you will be able to dish out some consequences for breaking the rules.

    Great job Eric,

    Stephen Akins

    ReplyDelete