Sunday, September 11, 2011

Blog Post #3

ALBERT EINSTEIN


My C4C Learning Experience 
I have done peer critics in past classes throughout my schooling but I have never been faced with an option to publish it in a public forum. I thought about it for a while because it was new alternative for me and I wanted to handle it the same way I hope someone would when critiquing me. I decided to send the critique through their email where it would be left to be viewed between the two of us. It seemed like a more personal type of approach and also a respectful one more importantly. I don't know this individual personally so I felt this might establish a trust barrier allow whatever I had to say be more inviting and open minded on their end. I myself have pretty tough skin, however not everyone is me. With that being said I would be embarrassed and for lack of better words "pissed off" at someone if they completely ripped me in front of everyone to see on the internet. After reflection on this exercise I've concluded that critiquing is a form of helping someone just as much as helping them lift something heavy. You can ask them politely if they need a hand or you can say "step aside and watch how it's done". They may have gotten their task done but they won't turn to you for help or even help you if you need it down the road. "Do to others as you would have them do to you"- Luke 6:31.

It's Not About Technology
Kelly Hines' article really hit home with me because I'm not the most up to date on technology. I obviously know what a mac, Iphone, and the internet are (I'm not a caveman). I don't however know all the capabilities and advantages to those things are yet. As I get closer to being a teacher I'm starting to realize that I'm going to need to integrate these more and more into my daily routines. This quote by Hines is great and completely sums up the point that I am trying to make, "When we put innovative tools in the hands of innovative teachers, amazing things can happen. If you put these tools in the hands of teachers who are not willing to innovate, money has been wasted." The time where every classroom is technologically proficient hasn't quite come yet but the process has started and it is up to us to get ourselves prepared for when that day is here.

This transitional period of "purgatory" that some schools are in as they wait for their technological update cannot be wasted.  Has anyone ever heard the phrase "You learn something new everyday"? Of course we have and I'm sure that most of us have even used it. As a teacher we must learn from those who we teach to better the generations of students that will follow them to make their education experience better. We are not going into a profession that has an assembly line of kids where they are put together the same as the day before. Think about this. How did a classroom function before computers and movie projectors? Be observant and creative in the absence of virtual technology and customize a tailored suit of knowledge for each student under your care.

Is It Okay To Be A Technologically Illiterate Teacher?
Throughout the reading Fisch seemed to be on a rant about the subject of technologically illiterate teachers. It seemed more personal that it maybe should have. However, I can see where he is coming from as an individual that can get heated up about something I'm passionate about as well. Maybe he could have sat back and cooled down before he started writing, but would the message he wanted to get across been as effective? People should be held accountable for what they do or don't do. If you have a couple of staff members that don't do anything why keep them on and pay them for nothing? I agree with Fisch when he said the principle should be accountable for having inadequate teachers in their school. It is their job to make sure that the best education is being delivered. If that's the case then it just seems like the motions are just being gone through so that a pay check can be collected.

The paragraph where he talked about us living in exponential times really made a lot of sense and got me thinking about what he was saying on a bigger picture. If it's harder for people whom are technologically illiterate to progressively get jobs and be successful from year to year in this country then where do we stand on the worlds stage? If our country is getting less and less people to be effective in our technological realm then how competitive are we going to be as world power as time goes on. If we don't invest wisely then we may find ourselves in a position we don't want to be in.

Social Media Count
Every time I see one of these counters I think of it as a stop watch that got turned on, set down, and left to run until it runs out of digits. I think it's crazy that this is how big the internet is and how much faster it becomes on a constant basis. I can't even wrap my head around the small details that actually are behind the numbers.

This goes to show that a significant amount of people are turning to the internet to spend their time and so we should all follow suit. Not because it seems to be the thing to do but because it is becoming essential that we are able to connect with those we teach and learn from on the same level. Apples and oranges are two different fruits and will never equate. If we all bring oranges and oranges to the table of trade then we can all agree on what we are seeing and talking about.

A Vision of Students Today
This was a unique video displaying its message through facts that were taken from a survey. The facts that were brought to light were interesting and easy to relate to because we are going through the same things as they are. I check my facebook and twitter accounts in class because what is being taught that particular class isn't catching my interest. We pay all this money to get a piece of paper to make less than what we are going to have to pay back in loans. All the points that were made were comforting to know that we are all in this together.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Eric,

    Great comments on your C4C assignment. I agree that it was a great idea to allow someone that you really didn't know personally to critique your work. I will mention this to Dr. Strange and see if it could be an option to those in EDM that are struggling with writing errors.

    I'm glad that you see that it is important for us to get the innovation in the schools started! I hope that your other classmates can also see that there are many teachers that are not willing to learn, but we are the ones that should step it up.

    Many of your classmates got upset when Mr. Fisch stated that not being a technologically literate teacher today was like being a teacher in the 20th century not being able to read and write. How can you respond to this statement? You have some great thoughts already on why Mr. Fisch said what he did.

    Great post Eric,

    Stephen Akins

    ReplyDelete